Ah yes... you did your first peel and you are not getting the heavy ... skin falling off that you saw online photos? There are many steps between your first peel and "that".
Well... flaking = peeling. So don't get caught up in thinking that just because your skin is "only flaking" that your peel didn't work! Far from it actually. Any dead skin coming off is peeling. Not everyone has skin coming off in sheets. You may never have skin coming off like that because we are all different. But, there are some things that you "could" adjust that just may get you where you want to be. Let's see now...
There are ways to get a deeper peel - if that is your goal. But generally your first time is NOT the time to do that. EVER! 2 layers of 13 as a first peel is exactly where you should be. Next time do 3 layers... after that do 4 layers.... then 5 layers .... then 6 ....or move onto the 20 after that. Always work up slowly and as YOU and your skin tolerate.
- There is never a need to move up.
- There is not a goal to meet with peels.
- Stop where you are comfortable. :)
If you want more flaking - larger flakes - bigger pieces .... a few points that are very important.
- How WET the application is plays a HUGE part in how deep that layer is. A wetter layer goes much deeper. A dry layer is very light. We want it wet... but not dripping. So next time instead of doing more layers you might want to make them wetter - if they were too dry.
- How many layers you are applying also plays a large part in how deep the layer goes. The more layers applied, the more skin proteins are coagulated and the more skin that comes off. Each time you do a peel you can add on one more layer. This is a process. Never rush.
- Additional acids can be layered before the TCA such as Jessners to increase the depth of penetration. Jessners can be used to "pre-peel" the skin and allow the TCA to penetrate more easily. This is a great trick used not only for a super peel, but to treat pigmentation issues. *Always test each acid separately prior to combining.
- Additional peels can be used as a finishing layer after the TCA such as our Dream Peel or the Luminosity Method to get a more intense flaking. A layer of vitamin A has been shown to increase the volume of skin coming off when applied after a layered peel. Use the Dream Peel one time only... OR, use Luminosity for 3-5 days.
- More ointment/oils and less dryness. If your skin is quite dry... you will get lots of tiny baby flakes. If your skin is nice and hydrated those little pieces will "stick together longer" and the pieces will be bigger!